Monday, July 21, 2014

Finally a court date

Our court date had been moved around a few times by the time we finally got one. March 25 was the day we were set to make our first appearance in court. 
In order to try and have Joe decide to just terminate his parental rights on his own we had some work to do. My lawyer asked me to contact as many friends/colleagues/classmates who had heard Joe say that he was not Nixxons father.  Joe had told so many people that. Now I needed to ask each person that I could if they would do me a HUGE favor and sign an affidavit saying that they heard Joe deny Nixxon as his child.
It was not an easy thing to ask of someone you hadnt talked to for a couple of years and most you really never talked to but were asking a big legal favor.
One friend said he couldn't because he was too good of friends with Joe and I and couldn't get in the middle of it.  Then there were other who told me they heard Joe deny it but when I brought up the affidavit they suddenly changed their story that they never actually heard it with their own ears. Then there was great people who understood this was not about me or Joe, but just being honest of what really happened.  It was simple. Of course getting involved in a legal situation is never something that you want to do but I needed their help.
I also needed to gather all of my documents of everything.  All my receips I had saved since Nixxon was born, all my texts from Joe. Luckily I had been documenting everything since the day my parents and I realized that things were going south and I was still pregnant. 
I think I got all together about 7 affidavits even though I had asked about 20 people.  And couldn't ask so many others because they were on missions in another country or I could not find them. I got 2 from ex girlfriends of his which both said that he denied even sleeping with me. 1 from my bishop who had been at my house when Joe came to talk to my parents once and he lied to
My bishop and said there was no way it could be his child. Then I got a few from people around town and a few from my frinds who heard him say it.
In the midst of all of this Joe was texting me at least once a day asking random things.  He once told me we should take Nixxon fishing one day. Then the most comical one was when he text me and asked if Nixxon was excited to turn three. I was amazed he had her birthday right but was off by a year. She was only just about to turn two. He even spelled out three so it wasnt even that he hit the wrong key on the key bored. Thats pretty sad when you don't even know how old your daughter is going to be. That right there showed that he wasn't too worthy of being involved.
Getting ready for court was a pain but I sure hoped I had enough against Joe that the judge would side with me.
I had a few days until I knew what was going to happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment